- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup loosely packed red rose petals, rinsed and patted dry
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons rose syrup
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- candied rose petals, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water and rose petals. Bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat, and let steep, covered, for 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove and discard rose petals.
- Add the sugar and rose syrup, and return to boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Immediately pour the boiling mixture in a slow stream into the egg whites, beating continuously.
- Add the half-and-half and lemon
juice, and beat the mixture for 1 minute.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker, or in freezer (with regular stirrings).