Herb salts are amazingly easy and amazingly delicious to make. If you have a few culinary herbs and salt, or even just a few packets of dried herbs and salt in your cupboard, you have no excuse to make these culinary delights!
Basic Blend and Ratios
This all depends on your taste buds of course and if you want more herbs or more salt! Commonly it is suggested to start with fewer herbs and increase as you need. Here’s a few (disparate) ratios that I’ve come across:
- 2 cups fresh herbs to 1 cup salt [2:1 ratio of herb to salt]
- 1/4 cup coarse salt with 2 tablespoons fresh herbs [1:2 ratio of herb to salt]
- 2 tbsp salt + 3 tsp herbs [1.1 ratio of herb to salt]
I generally stick to a 1:1 ratio.
Use good coarse flaky salt for best results. Mix in any of the following: fresh herbs, dried herbs, edible flowers, ground spices, seeds and nuts, citrus zests, dehydrated vegetables and even some dried mushrooms!
- Mix herbs with salt
- Blender: Add coarse salt and flavourings to your blender and process until desired consistency.
- Manual: Chop herbs and flavourings and grind in salt as you mix it through, perhaps use a mortar and pestle to really get flavours mixed in well.
- Spread mixture in a single layer on baking paper
- Dry for a few days in a sunny dry spot with good airflow (or dehydrator, or a very, very, very low oven) *
- Store in a sealed container.
*You can first dry your herbs and then just crush the herbs with the salt, but a lot of intense flavour is lost, and you are essentially just mixing the salt and the herbs, not infusing the salt with the herb flavours.
You could use your “wet” salt as is, without drying it, but just store in a refrigerator then.
Tuscan Herb Salt – Rosemary + Sage + Garlic
Provencal Herb Salt – Thyme + Rosemary + Savory + a little teensy bit of lavender
Zesty Rosemary Salt – Rosemary + Lemon Zest + Orange Zest
Lemon & Herb Salt – Rosemary + Thyme + Lemon Zest
Mexican Salt – Chili + Oregano
Fennel Frond Salt – Fennel fronds (leaves)
Sweet Salt – Vanilla + Cinnamon (good on dark rich chocolate cakes or tarts that call for being “salted”)
Herb Salts – PDF for download